CULTURE ROAD: Explore the countyside of the Baltic Sea
FINLAND – ESTONIA – LATVIA
The tour introduces a variety of attractions and values outside big cities revealing the true character of the countries. The visitors will experience the beauty of nature in national parks, charming ambience of rural manors, visit traditional rural farms and skilful traditional artisans and craftsmen.
|Duration||5 nights/6 days|
|Route||Riga – Ķemeri – Jelgava – Bīriņi – Tartu – Vihula – Tallinn – Helsinki – Karjalohja -MustionLinna – Helsinki|
|View on Map|
Arrival in Riga, Latvia
Riga city tour.The Dome Cathedral with one of the world’s largest pipe organs, St. Peter’s Church with magnificent views of the city from its steeple, the old Guild Houses, the Swedish Gate, the architectural ensemble Three Brothers, St. Jacob’s Church, the Parliament House, Old Riga Castle, Art Nouveau area. The Historic Centre of Riga is a UNESCO Heritage Site.
Overnight in a hotel in Riga.
Riga – Ķemeri National park – Jelgava – Mazmežotne
|DRIVING DISTANCE:170km, WALKING: 2 or 4 km
PROGRAMME DURATION (with 3 visits) – 12h
The timing allows for a combination of maximum 3 visits. There are the following options en route to choose from:
- Ķemeri National Park –the Great Ķemeri Bog Boardwalk and a watchtower(walking distances 2 or 4km).
- Bread baking workshop in a traditional Latvian farmstead Caunītes.
- Excursion, demonstrations and opportunity to participate in ceramics workshop, herbal tea tasting in Laima Ceramics studio in Rundāle region.
- Rundāle palace. This 18thcentury palace, built by an Italian architect F. B. Rastrelli is the most magnificient masterpiece of Baroque architecture in the Baltic States. The renovated palace interiors are decorated with authentic 18th century furniture, paintings and china. The palace boasts a beautiful French-style garden surrounded by a canal.
Overnight in Mazmežotne manor – a nature surrounded place with a restaurant.
Mazmežotne – Bīriņi – Latvia/Estonia border – Võrumaa region -Tartu
|DRIVING DISTANCE:420km, WALKING: 1.5h
PROGRAMME DURATION – 12h
Tour of the Bīriņi manor complex and the park (18th – 19thcentury), a restaurant. Haanja nature park (1.5h walking). In the centre of the park there is the highest hill in the Baltic States – SuurMunamägi, which stands 318m above sea level. A viewing tower is on the hilltop offering a stunning view. Mooska Farm in Võrumaa region. UNESCO smoked sauna story, degustation of local products.
Overnight in a hotel in Tartu.
Tartu – Lahemaa national park
PROGRAMME DURATION – 9h
Short city tour of Tartu – a university town and a city of youth. Excursion at Avinurme Wooden Handicrafts Centre. Vihula manor – a charming 16thcentury estate set alongside the Mustoja River in the Lahemaa National Park.
Overnight in Vihula manor hotel.
Vihula – Tallinn– Helsinki – Western-Uusimaa Region – Raasepori region –Karjalohja–MustionLinna
|DRIVING DISTANCE:205km, FERRY: 2h
PROGRAMME DURATION – 12h
Tallinn city tour. The tour combines walking and bus. The walking tour includes the Toompea Castle, the 13thcenturyDome church, the 19thcenturyRussian orthodox Cathedral of Alexander Nevskij, the 15thcenturytown Hall square, the Old Guild built to celebrate Tallinn’s membership in the Hanseatic League, and St. Olaf’s church. The bus tour includes Tallinn’s suburbs and Song Festival Grounds, St. Brigitte’s monastery and Pirita area.
Transfer to the TallinkSilja line ferry terminal.Ferry Tallinn – Helsinki (~2h).
Transfer from Helsinki to Western-Uusimaa Region. Possible to do 2 visits:
- Tammisaari (old fishing village).
- Fiskars Village – excursion and lunch.
- Svartå Manor at Mustion Linna is one of the most precious manor houses in Finland with a history of more than two hundred years.
- Spa Hotel Päiväkumpu is a well-known versatile spa in Southern Finland, in Karjalohja, on the shore of the Lake Lohja.
MustionLinna – Lohjansaari – Helsinki
PROGRAMME DURATION – depending on the flight time
Excursion in Martinpiha country estate and Lohjansaari Island.
Tytyri mining museum. Helsinki city tour.The Helsinki Cathedral and the Senat Square, the Parliament, the Old Market Hall and Market Square, the Esplanade park, the Kamppi Chapel of Silence, the Temppeliaukio church, the Design District Helsinki, the Suomenlinna Sea fortress.
Transfer from city centre to Helsinki-Vantaa Airport.